Altar das Almas/Altar of the Souls

23-01-2021

Oração pelas Almas:

Dai-lhes, Senhor, o eterno descanso
Entre os esplendores da luz perpétua.
Descansem em paz. Ámen

Imagem central: Arcanjo São Miguel e as Almas

Imagem Esquerda: Santo Amaro

Imagem Direita: São Roque

Trata-se de uma estrutura de talha rocaille, portuguesa de finais do séc. XVIII, com estrutura arquitetónica compósita e aplicação de esponjados e marmoreados sobre as madeiras, atribuída a Estêvão Teixeira da Nóbrega. 

Apresenta uma pintura assinada e datada de 1800 do pintor tardo-barroco madeirense Nicolau Ferreira Duarte. Representa São Miguel Arcanjo, sobre as nuvens rodeado de anjos, numa composição muito difundida desde meados do séc. XVII pelas gravuras italianas e flamengas.

No nicho da direita uma escultura de uma oficina madeirense de finais do século XVII, representado São Roque, em madeira estofada, policromada e dourada, representando com o seu bordão de peregrino, seguido por um anjo e pelo cão que transporta na boca o pão que alimentou o santo no seu retiro no deserto. 

São Roque é o padroeiro secundário da cidade do Funchal, importante intercessor da peste e teve altar próprio na Sé no séc. XVI, cuja imagem flamenga se encontra hoje no Museu de Arte Sacra do Funchal,


No nicho lateral esquerdo uma escultura estofada, policromada e dourada de Santo Amaro, de belo talhe barroco de inícios do séc. XVIII. O santo de longas barbas encaracoladas, segurando na mão direita o Livro Sagrado e na esquerda um bordão. Revela magnífico estofado a preto e ouro.


On the Gospel side, to the left as you enter, the first of three altares is dedicated to the Souls. It is a portuguese rocaille woodwork, of the late 18th century, with architectural composite structure and with application of marbles and sponged over the wood, attributed to Estevão Teixeira da Nóbrega. It presents a painting signed and dated 1800 by the late Baroque madeiran painter Nicolau Ferreira Duarte. It represents St. Michael the Archangel, above clouds surrounded by angels, in a composition widely spread since the mid-17th century by Italian and Flemish engravings.

An ancient chapel of Souls had already existed in the Cathedral, or thereabouts, and was destroyed in the 18th century.

In the right niche a sculpture of São Roque, in upholstered, polychromed and gilded wood, from a madeiran workshop of the late 17th century, with his pilgrim's stick followed by an angel and the dog that carries in his mouth the bread that fed the saint in his desert retreat. São Roque was the secondary patron of Funchal and an important intercessor for the plague, who had his own altar in the Cathedral in the 16th century, with a Flemish image that is currently at the Sacred Art Museum.

In the left lateral niche stands the sculpture of Santo Amaro. It is a beautiful early Baroque woodwork from the early 18th century in upholstered, polychromed and gilded wood (fig. 58). The saint is represented with a long curly beard, holding the Holy Book in his right hand and a stick on the left, featuring a magnificent black and gold upholstery.